Joseph P. McConnell, Ph.D.
President, CEO, and Co-founder
- Former Director of Cardiovascular Laboratory Medicine at the Mayo Clinic
- Has authored over 160 leading publications in the peer reviewed scientific literature
- Extensive collaboration with prestigious group of cardiologists and endocrinologists at the Mayo Clinic and other world renowned researchers in cardiovascular diseases
- Known for developing and promoting the use of advanced biomarkers to comprehensively assess risk for Cardiovascular and related disorders at the Mayo Clinic and at Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc.
G. Russell Warnick, M.S., MBA
Chief Scientific Officer and Co-founder
- Trained as a biochemist, joined in 1973 the Northwest Lipid Research Clinic (LRC) of the University of Washington, Seattle, where he became Director of the Lipoprotein Core Laboratory
- Five years at Berkeley HeartLab as VP for Laboratory Operations and Chief Scientific Officer
- Serves on advisory panels of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) and the National Cholesterol Education Program
- Co-Editor of the Handbook of Lipoprotein Testing and author of chapters on lipid/lipoproteins in other major clinical chemistry handbooks and textbooks as well as over 200 publications, primarily in the lipid and osteoporosis fields
Anna McKean, MBA
Executive Vice President, Chief Commercial Officer
- Leads a team that develops and delivers solutions for improving population health for clients that include employers, first responders, and health systems
- More than 25 years of experience including serving as President of a successful healthcare start-up company and leading a profitable consulting practice for KPMG
- Director for the Virginia Center for Healthcare Innovation, Association for Corporate Growth, Richmond Chapter, and President of the Sherwood Anderson Foundation
- Graduate of University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University and enjoys traveling with husband and two daughters
Executive Vice President, Director of Business Affairs
- For more than 25 years, Sbertoli has practiced securities, corporate and public finance, and business law. He has advised public and private companies through mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, real estate, environmental matters, securities offerings, and other business initiatives
- Sbertoli has led the public finance practice group at LeClair Ryan since 1993 and served on the management committee of the firm from 1999 until joining HDL, Inc.
- He is a graduate of the University of Virginia and earned his law degree at the College of William and Mary's Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Sbertoli commits his time as a coach for a local youth baseball and basketball sports league and is the Chairman of the Watkins Centre community Development Authority in Chesterfield County
- He enjoys basketball, golf, fishing, and racket sports in his free time
Senior Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer
- Industry expert on healthcare compliance who is credited with creating the pharmaceutical industry's first modern compliance program at Warner-Lambert in the mid-1990s.
- With a background defending federal healthcare compliance investigations and prosecutions and Medicare/Medicaid pricing fraud lawsuits, Dunham previously provided his legal and compliance expertise in the service of Pfizer Inc., Pharmacia Corporation, Astellas US LLC and Aptalis Pharma US.
- Experienced in creating and upgrading healthcare compliance programs, Dan is also an author and frequent lecturer at industry conferences.
- Prior to joining the healthcare industry, Dan practiced law in New York City, specializing in commercial litigation. Dunham received his law degree from Columbia University.
Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Blackwell is responsible for Human Resources, Communication, and Philanthropy. He previously served as the Director of Human Resources and Administration at Williams Mullen, and Senior Vice President of Workforce Resources at LandAmerica Financial Group.
- Chair of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce Healthcare Industry Council, and a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Employee Benefits Committee.
- A graduate of University of Virginia, he holds a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification, and attended Leadership programs at Cornell University and the Center for Creative Leadership; he is a graduate of Leadership Metro Richmond (LMR) and LEAD VIRGINIA and past recipient of the LMR Community Servant Leader Award.
- Holds board positions for Leadership Metro Richmond (Past Chair), the Partnership for Non-Profit Excellence (Secretary), VCU Massey Cancer Center (Executive Committee), and Virginia Repertory Theatre.
Tara Dall, MD
Chief Medical Officer
- Tara Dall, MD graduated in the first class of Diplomates of the American Board of Clinical Lipidology. In 2007 her clinic achieved national recognition as the first fully certified Level II lipid clinic in the United States. She attended University of Wisconsin- Madison for undergraduate, medical school training, and family medicine residency. Entering private practice in 2001, she formed the Cholesterol & Lifestyle Center in 2006 with the goal of aggressive detection and treatment of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. In 2008 she formed Advanced Lipidology, Early Detection Center for Heart Disease and Diabetes
- She has a special interest in advanced biomarker testing and the role of insulin resistance in cardiovascular disease, women's heart disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and pediatric obesity. A published author in the field of lipidology, she has also been involved in CIMT research in collaboration with University of Wisconsin-Madison
- In 2010, she co-founded Lecturepad.org and CaseConsult.org to advance clinical understanding and application of advanced lipid and biomarker testing. She currently serves as Chief Medical Officer of Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc., while continuing to practice medicine in Wisconsin and serve as wife and mother of two
- She is sought after as a national and international speaker, well known for her passionate delivery of complex topics in simple terms. She has appeared on CNN Radio, Reach MD Satellite Radio, RadioHealth Journal, along with many local Milwaukee media outlets. She has been a keynote speaker for the American Heart Association Go Red For Women events. For several years she has been an executive board of the Midwest Lipid Association, serving as president elect 2011-2012
Thomas Dayspring, MD, FACP, FNLA, NCMP
Chief Academic Officer
- Dr. Dayspring is a Diplomate of both the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Clinical Lipidology.
- With extensive teaching credentials, he has given over 4,000 lectures in all 50 states, including over 600 CMEs.
- Prior to his role at HDL, Inc., Dr. Dayspring practiced private medicine and lipidology for 37 years.
Chief Technology Officer
- Over a 15-year career in Information Technology, Michael has distinguished himself in enterprise software development
- Michael has led teams in developing technologies with a positive impact in industries ranging from sports and entertainment to education and healthcare
- As a technology leadership, Michael has served as Senior Developer at Fortune 500 companies
- A personal favorite project of his was working with Fantasy Sports Properties, Inc. where he was able to meet the likes of Terry Bradshaw, James Brown, Brett Farve, Grant Hill, and the great Wayne Gretzky
Maciek Sasinowski, MD, Ph.D.
Vice President of Clinical Affairs
- Dr. Sasinowski earned a Ph.D. in computational plasma physics from the College of William and Mary and an M.D. from the VCU School of Medicine (Medical College of Virginia).
- He established the Bioinformatics Center at the Clemson University Genomics Institute, where he served as the Director of Bioinformatics
- In 1998, he founded INCOGEN, a biotechnology company that focuses on development of technological platforms and cancer biomarker research, where he served as CEO
- Over the last two decades, Dr. Sasinowski has been actively involved in technology and policy development at the national and statewide level by serving on numerous boards, including the Governor's Technology Transition Policy Committee, and serving as Chairman of the Virginia Biotechnology Association (VaBIO) for two years
- In 2001, he was chosen by Genome Technology magazine as one of the 15 most influential people in the field of genomics under age 30 and, more recently, was voted Top 40 under 40 by Richmond's Style Weekly
Kathleen F. Johnson, Esq.
- Kathy most recently served as Vice President of Risk and Compliance to develop and implement a comprehensive healthcare regulatory compliance and risk management program
- She has served as in-house counsel on physician and hospital contracting and transactional matters
- Kathy earned her Juris Doctor from The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law and Earned her B.S.B.A. from the University of Richmond's E. Claiborne Robins School of Business Administration
- She enjoys time with family, traveling, and painting
HDL, Inc. was founded in 2008. The founders collectively have more than 70 years of experience in the field of Laboratory Medicine holding key positions in renowned and respected medical, educational, and industrial institutions, including the Mayo Clinic, Indiana University Medical Center, Wako Diagnostics, and the University of Washington.