Tonya Mallory, B.S., M.S.
CEO, President, and Co-founder
- Tonya is an award winning American entrepreneur whose pioneering work in the field of chronic disease management has helped propel the field of cardiology and related diseases into the forefront of diagnostic care
- Her commitment to patients and physicians drives healthcare initiatives forward, moving from diagnosis of illness to sustainment of wellness
- Under Tonya's leadership, HDL, Inc. is poised to form efficient partnerships in integrated healthcare systems to meet the high standards expected by the global population of the 21st century
Joseph P. McConnell, Ph.D.
Chief Laboratory Officer and Co-founder
- Former Director of Cardiovascular Laboratory Medicine at the Mayo Clinic
- Has authored over 160 leading publications in the peer reviewed scientific literature
- Extensive collaboration with prestigious group of cardiologists and endocrinologists at the Mayo Clinic and other world renowned researchers in cardiovascular diseases
- Known for developing and promoting the use of advanced biomarkers to comprehensively assess risk for Cardiovascular and related disorders at the Mayo Clinic and at Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc.
G. Russell Warnick, M.S., MBA
Chief Scientific Officer and Co-founder
- Trained as a biochemist, joined in 1973 the Northwest Lipid Research Clinic (LRC) of the University of Washington, Seattle, where he became Director of the Lipoprotein Core Laboratory
- Five years at Berkeley HeartLab as VP for Laboratory Operations and Chief Scientific Officer
- Serves on advisory panels of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) and the National Cholesterol Education Program
- Co-Editor of the Handbook of Lipoprotein Testing and author of chapters on lipid/lipoproteins in other major clinical chemistry handbooks and textbooks as well as over 200 publications, primarily in the lipid and osteoporosis fields
Anna McKean, MBA
Chief Commercial Officer
- Leads a team that develops and delivers solutions for improving population health for clients that include employers, first responders, and health systems
- More than 25 years of experience including serving as President of a successful healthcare start-up company and leading a profitable consulting practice for KPMG
- Director for the Virginia Center for Healthcare Innovation, Association for Corporate Growth, Richmond Chapter, and President of the Sherwood Anderson Foundation
- Graduate of University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University and enjoys traveling with husband and two daughters
Executive Vice President, Director of Business Affairs
- For more than 25 years, Sbertoli has practiced securities, corporate and public finance, and business law. He has advised public and private companies through mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, real estate, environmental matters, securities offerings, and other business initiatives
- Sbertoli has led the public finance practice group at LeClair Ryan since 1993 and served on the management committee of the firm from 1999 until joining HDL, Inc.
- He is a graduate of the University of Virginia and earned his law degree at the College of William and Mary's Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Sbertoli commits his time as a coach for a local youth baseball and basketball sports league and is the Chairman of the Watkins Centre community Development Authority in Chesterfield County
- He enjoys basketball, golf, fishing, and racket sports in his free time
Senior Vice President and Chief Culture Officer
- Scott is responsible for Human Resources, internal communication and events, philanthropy and volunteerism, and employee wellness
- He has distinguished himself as a leader, with over 15 years of experience in human resources as a senior executive
- Blackwell, a graduate of University of Virginia, holds a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification, and attended Senior Human Resources Management programs at Cornell University and the Center for Creative Leadership. He is a member of the class of 2013 of LEAD VIRGINIA
- He previously served as the Director of Human Resources at Williams Mullen as well as the Senior Vice President of Workforce Resources at LandAmerica Financial Group
- He is also very involved in the local Richmond community, holding multiple board positions, such as Chair of Leadership Metro Richmond (LMR), the Partnership for Non-Profit Excellence, Art 180, and 1708 Gallery. He is a past recipient of the LMR Community Servant Leader Award
Senior Vice President of Global Communications
- Leslie, an award-winning marketing professional, has led high profile international marketing and publicity campaigns in both private industry and government
- She is the founder of Etre Communications, Inc., a marketing and public relations company, and was the founder of Richmond's Center of Integrative Medicine
- Leslie has owned and published the business magazine KLEOS and has worked as Managing Director of Richmond.com, an online city guide and was Executive Editor of Enterprise Virginia magazine. Before launching her entrepreneurial venture, Strickler worked as the marketing director for Hirschler, Fleischer, Weinberg, Cox & Allen law firm
- Leslie's honors include membership in the exclusive Omicron Delta Kappa, a national leadership honor society. She has also been recognized by Inside Business in its "Top 40 under 40" and by Richmond Magazine - 50 "Women of Power."
- Strickler has replaced running with fitness training and as much yoga as she can fit in - she also loves anything on a bike
Tara Dall, MD
Chief Medical Officer
- Tara Dall, MD graduated in the first class of Diplomates of the American Board of Clinical Lipidology. In 2007 her clinic achieved national recognition as the first fully certified Level II lipid clinic in the United States. She attended University of Wisconsin- Madison for undergraduate, medical school training, and family medicine residency. Entering private practice in 2001, she formed the Cholesterol & Lifestyle Center in 2006 with the goal of aggressive detection and treatment of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. In 2008 she formed Advanced Lipidology, Early Detection Center for Heart Disease and Diabetes
- She has a special interest in advanced biomarker testing and the role of insulin resistance in cardiovascular disease, women's heart disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and pediatric obesity. A published author in the field of lipidology, she has also been involved in CIMT research in collaboration with University of Wisconsin-Madison
- In 2010, she co-founded Lecturepad.org and CaseConsult.org to advance clinical understanding and application of advanced lipid and biomarker testing. She currently serves as Chief Medical Officer of Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc., while continuing to practice medicine in Wisconsin and serve as wife and mother of two
- She is sought after as a national and international speaker, well known for her passionate delivery of complex topics in simple terms. She has appeared on CNN Radio, Reach MD Satellite Radio, RadioHealth Journal, along with many local Milwaukee media outlets. She has been a keynote speaker for the American Heart Association Go Red For Women events. For several years she has been an executive board of the Midwest Lipid Association, serving as president elect 2011-2012
Kathleen F. Johnson, Esq.
Chief Compliance Officer
- Kathy most recently served as Vice President of Risk and Compliance to develop and implement a comprehensive healthcare regulatory compliance and risk management program
- She has served as in-house counsel on physician and hospital contracting and transactional matters
- Kathy earned her Juris Doctor from The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law and Earned her B.S.B.A. from the University of Richmond's E. Claiborne Robins School of Business Administration
- She enjoys time with family, traveling, and painting
Nuno Valentine, MBA
Chief Information Officer
- A seasoned entrepreneur who has focused his career on strategic business operations, Valentine founded C3Nexus in 2012 to use a "high-tech/high-touch" approach to coordinate patient care outside of the traditional healthcare ecosystem.
- Previous to C3, and in addition to his lifelong entrepreneurial pursuits, Valentine managed the information-technology department at a 15,000-employee transportation company with more than $2 billion in annual revenue.
- Valentine has served on advisory and directorial boards for multiple healthcare and nonprofit organizations, and since 1982 has made Richmond, VA. his home, where he lives with his wife, Grace, and two children.
Szilard Voros, MD, FACC, FSCCT, FAHA
Chief Academic Officer
- A graduate of University Medical School of Pecs in Hungary, Dr. Voros completed his internal medicine internship and residency at University of Alabama at Birmingham where he served as a Chief Medical Resident, and his fellowship at the University of Virginia, where he served as Chief Cardiovascular Fellow
- He served as Chief Scientific Officer, Chief of Cardiovascular Prevention and Medical Director, of Cardiovascular MRI and CT at the Piedmont Heart Institute
- He currently serves as Chief Academic Officer for Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc., CEO of Global Genomics Group, LLC., and is a Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Cardiology, and Radiology at Stony Brook University in New York
- He is a founding member of the Society for Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT), is a member of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR), fellow of the American College of Cardiology, and fellow of the American Heart Association and Vice President of Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention
Chief Technology Officer
- Over a 15-year career in Information Technology, Michael has distinguished himself in enterprise software development
- Michael has led teams in developing technologies with a positive impact in industries ranging from sports and entertainment to education and healthcare
- As a technology leadership, Michael has served as Senior Developer at Fortune 500 companies
- A personal favorite project of his was working with Fantasy Sports Properties, Inc. where he was able to meet the likes of Terry Bradshaw, James Brown, Brett Farve, Grant Hill, and the great Wayne Gretzky
Vice President, Business Operations
- Joe leads the development and coordination of client-facing operations for HDL, Inc. including customer service, logistics, and population health analytics. Joe joined HDL, Inc. as the Client Services Manager in October 2009, the 10th person to join the company. He grew the Client Services, Sales Support, and Logistics departments from just himself to the 70 plus associates that make up these departments today.
- Prior to joining HDL, Inc. Joe worked at Aerotek Scientific, LLC as a Key Account Manager. While there, he worked with companies in the biotech, pharmaceutical, and health care industry helping identify key talent to bring to their organizations. Joe received his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University – Pamplin College of Business (Virginia Tech).
Maciek Sasinowski, MD, Ph.D.
Vice President of Clinical Affairs
- Dr. Sasinowski earned a Ph.D. in computational plasma physics from the College of William and Mary and an M.D. from the VCU School of Medicine (Medical College of Virginia).
- He established the Bioinformatics Center at the Clemson University Genomics Institute, where he served as the Director of Bioinformatics
- In 1998, he founded INCOGEN, a biotechnology company that focuses on development of technological platforms and cancer biomarker research, where he served as CEO
- Over the last two decades, Dr. Sasinowski has been actively involved in technology and policy development at the national and statewide level by serving on numerous boards, including the Governor's Technology Transition Policy Committee, and serving as Chairman of the Virginia Biotechnology Association (VaBIO) for two years
- In 2001, he was chosen by Genome Technology magazine as one of the 15 most influential people in the field of genomics under age 30 and, more recently, was voted Top 40 under 40 by Richmond's Style Weekly
Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations
- Paul, an award-winning journalist, has helped lead international businesses in their corporate communications campaigns in the healthcare and technology arena
- He has published three books, created continuing education courses for American Council on Exercise, and serves as the editor of a publication dedicated to inspiring healthy living in the community
- Paul co-founded Compleo, a new media consultancy that serviced Fortune 500 companies; created social media applications featured in LA Times; served as Senior Vice President at TecAccess, where he helped AOL and IBM develop user-friendly technology; and has worked as a media relations consultant for clients appearing in Wall Street Journal, Fortune, and New York Times
- Paul is the recipient of the Top 40 Under 40 award and VMFA Muse Award
MEET THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
HDL, Inc. was founded in 2008. The founders collectively have more than 70 years of experience in the field of Laboratory Medicine holding key positions in renowned and respected medical, educational, and industrial institutions, including the Mayo Clinic, Indiana University Medical Center, Wako Diagnostics, and the University of Washington.